a first-hand account of a german model and a chinese-finn pup as they experience life in a beautiful paradise called talloires

5.21.2010

orangina in a can, my life is complete

Bonjour mon amis,

Thus begins a crazy, wonderful 6 week adventure as Linc and I experience la vie française and everything it has to offer. Linc has yet to get his shit together about this blog stuff (we're new to this so bear with us), so I figured I'd start it off with a silly little post about what's been going on lately.

Right now, it's almost 3 00 in the afternoon and I've just gotten out of the shower at my home stay house, sitting in bed wearing flannel (obvs) and am spending some time just straight up chilling. Now you might be wondering why I am taking a shower in the middle of the day and not spending my precious time out and about in these beautiful surrounds and sunny 70 degree weather. Well, the answer is simple- this morning, I missed the bus. And you do not miss the bus.

While I am here with summer and fun on the mind, the unfortunate reality is that in addition to all of that good stuff, I'm here to take classes and be the good, hardworking Tufts student that I should have been this past year. I'm taking two classes- a soc class on Islam in Europe and a civil engineering (ENGINEERING, WHAT UP BITCHES) class on global health. Unlike picking classes at Tufts, for Talloires you pick your classes first and then find out later that two days a week you have to be at class at 8 45 IN THE MORNING. While I'm not super heartbroken about having to wake up this early (actually, I think it'll help me be more of a real person), I will say that it's going to be quite the adjustment, as was demonstrated by the fail whale that was this morning.

Today is Friday, and, according to Wikipedia, in most countries with a five-day work week (such as France), Friday is the last workday before the weekend, and is, therefore, viewed as a cause for celebration and relief. This morning, however, there was no such relief. Today I had to be at class at 8 45 am for soc. However, the bus leaves from near my house in Annecy (the city part near Talloires) at 7 48 am, and I needed to shower (15 min.. at least), get myself together (15 min), eat a petit dejeuner (10 min), and walk to the bus stop (15 min) meaning that I really had to be awake around 6 48 am. Let's just say that I was overly confident in my ability to wake up more than 3 hours before double digits and actually ended up waking up at 8 and only because my roommate who is in the same class woke up at this time, meaning that I had approximately 7 minutes and 29 seconds to get ready before being driven to the European Center by my very kind host lady. I ended up being 2 minutes late to class.

This is why at 3 00 in the afternoon, I have some time to write to you all without feeling guilty about spending time at "home" instead of outdoors. After class was over I returned to my house instead of heading toward the lakeside park or to a cafe or something, because I needed to clean myself and rest before going out tonight for our first weekend of crazy in Talloires! Dinner with some other Tufts kids is super late (compared to the 5 30 miller dinners) around 8, so hopefully I'll be out of here before then, but who knows. As I always love to say, I'll do it when I'm done chilling.

As for Talloires in general, this place is absolutely gorgeous and completely unreal. I'll try to put up some photos soon and Linc promises you all pictures and poems of the different flowers he learns about, so, something to look forward to. Also, I'll explain more about things later, I'm just getting bored of writing this right now, although I will say that as for the name of this blog, it appropriately combines our enjoyment of the excessive consumption of the scenery of these alps and of drinking, but all the credit goes to Paul Adam Reilly for singing "blame it on the alp, alp, a alp, a alpahol" (see Jamie Foxx's new song if you're confused) while we were chilling in the Euro center the other day.

That's all for now!

Groses Bises,

STEEN- also known as STEEEEEEEEN also known as KOALA also known as K.YANG

ps. in regards to the title, i love orangina and found it in a canned variety and life was the best

1 comment:

  1. OH MY I am so jealous of your life, minus the 6:48 AM wake up call. Clearly all I have to do this summer is read y'all's blog, so keep the sassy haikus and entertaining tales, Stlincoleen (that's your names combined!).
    Love, Alexis

    ReplyDelete